Результат исследования второй группы учащихся в проекте Geography of the UK
Авторы и участники проекта
Участники группы: Англичане
Тема исследования группы
What’s the climate of England like?
Каков климат Англии?
Проблемный вопрос (вопрос для исследования)
How do you think the climate of the GB is different from the Russian climate?
Как ты думаешь, климат Великобритании отличается от климата России?
- Установить отношение жителей Великобритании к изучению географии своей страны.
- Выяснить, какие районы Великобритании имеют наболее благоприятный климат.
- Построить ментальную карту по результатам исследования.
Результаты проведённого исследования
Great Britain is situated on the islands. It is washed by seas from all the sides. That’s why the climate and the nature of Great Britain are very specific. It is not very cold in winter and never very hot in summer. There is no ice on the lakes and rivers in winter. It seldom snows. It rains very often in all the seasons. The weather changes very often. All this is due to the influence of the Gulf Stream.
1. Mark Twain once said about America: “If you don’t like the weather in New England, just wait a few minutes”, but it is more likely to have been said about England. Britain is also famous for its fogs. Sometimes fogs are so thick that it is impossible to see anything within 2 or 3 metres.
2. The English also say that there are three variants of weather: when it rains in the morning, when it rains in the afternoon or when it rains all day long. The driest period is from March to June and the wettest months are from October to January. The average temperature is from 5 to 23 degrees above zero. Sometimes the temperature rises to 30 degrees above zero in summer and falls to 10 degrees below zero in winter.
3. We may say that the British climate has three main features: it is mild, humid and changeable. This humid and mild climate is good for plants. Trees and flowers begin to blossom very early in spring.
4. There are 3 things that chiefly determine the climate of the United Kingdom: the position of the islands in the temperate belt; the fact that the prevailing winds blow from the west and south-west and the warm current — the Gulf Stream that flows from the Gulf of Mexico along the western shores of England. All these features make the climate more moderate, without striking difference between seasons. It is not very cold in winter and never very hot in summer.
5. It rains very often in all seasons in Great Britain. Autumn and winter are the wettest. The sky is usually grey and cold winds blow. On the average, Britain has more than 200 rainy days a year. The English say that they have 3 variants of weather: when it rains in the morning, when it rains in the afternoon, and when it rains all day long. Sometimes it rains so heavily, that they say «It's raining cats and dogs».
6. Britain is known all over the world for its fogs. Sometimes fogs are so thick that it's impossible to see anything within a few meters. The winter fogs of London are, indeed, awful; they surpass all imagination. In a dense fog all traffic is stopped, no vehicle can move from fear of dreadful accidents. So, we may say that the British climate has three main features: it is mild, humid and very changeable.
We found out that the greater part of the students would prefer living as closer to London as possible. This is definetely connected with cultural features of the city and the amount of attractive places for tourists.